Part-time work in the UAE for more than one employer
A new part-time employment system was implemented by the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE) to allow Emiratis, GCC nationals and foreign workers to work legally for more than one employer in the UAE without having to obtain approval or a no objection certificate from their primary employer. However an additional work permit will need to be obtained from the ministry. This new contract system is aimed at enhancing flexibility within the current labour market, reducing dependancies on expatriat foreign workers and labour costs, as workers would be accessible locally and already in country.
The following conditions will be applicable:
– work less than eight hours per day or 48 hours per week
– minimum one day off per week
– annual leave, end of service and any other financial benefits in line with their number of working hours to be provided as per the employment contract by the primary employer
– non-competitor clauses do not apply unless a court order is issued claiming confict of interest
– an application fee of AED 100 applies as well as equivalent temporary work permit fees for the secondary employer, and fees for the primary employer could range between AED 150 and AED 2000
– minimum age is 18 years old holding a valid labour card
As per Nasser bin Thani Al Hamli, Minister of Human Resources and Emiratisation, the contracts are aimed at highly specialised professions requiring sophisticated scientific, technical and administrative skill-sets with a minimum qualification requirement of a university degree. Al Hamli said technical professions requiring “intellectually demanding, scientific, technical, supervisory and practical skill-sets must meet qualification requirements of two- or three-year post-secondary institutional training”.
One restriction is the part-time contract cannot be changed into a fulltime contract.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter